Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Tuesday library encounter

A patron came over to the Reference Desk looking for help with a song. It was in two books, but both were out. He didn't want a fake book. So I looked in the Patchogue Medford Library's Popular Music Song Index for it. Found it. Called PML to have it faxed. A librarian said she would. After several minutes of it not arriving I went over to the patron and told him that if he cared to leave his name, once the fax arrived we'd put it at the Circulation Desk for him. He agreed, and gave me his name. Eliot Weiss.

In a moment, I made a connection. I asked him, "Chess? Teach in Brooklyn?" Yes, he said, and said "Kings of New York." Indeed, I told him, I read the book, and really enjoyed it. I asked him about the kids in the book, if they were in touch with him, if they stayed with chess. Yes, he said, they stay in touch. Two are continuing to play it, and all the others stay in touch with the game.

I also told him about reading Jennifer Shahade's book, Chess Bitch, and of reading Marilyn Yalom's book about the Chess Queen.

Cool.

No comments: